I’m a Democrat. I know a lot of Democrats. I know how they think, what they want out of life for their families and how they feel about Trump and why. The best way to describe them is to tell you how I feel and while there are some differences, most Democrats feel this way:
- I am pro-life and because I am pro-life I am also pro legal abortion. Why? It’s simple, most people in this WORLD are pro-life. It’s ridiculous to say otherwise. As a Democrat, I understand that being in favor of legal abortion actually saves lives, not only that of the fetus but also of the woman carrying the fetus. Making abortion illegal will not stop abortions and leaving it legal provides education and alternatives to young women seeking abortion and thereby has proven to reduce the number of abortions plus saves the lives of the women who might of died trying to have an illegal abortion. Legal abortion is the only way to save these lives so I really am sick of the hypocrisy and ignorance of those who say they are pro-life when they don’t really care about human life in general.
- I am for cracking down on welfare abuse and I believe that able-bodied people should work and need to work. Surprised? You shouldn’t be, Democrats have always stood for compassion but not for outright fraud or giving funds away to those who sit around and do nothing. I am also for Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and other forms of help people need as they age or are disabled. I believe the Federal Government of such a rich nation can and should afford to give aid to the American people in these matters.
- I am for the right to bear arms. I would never vote to take away that right. Surprised? You shouldn’t be, most Democrats feel the same. We do believe that we need to enforce better arms control and that we need to ban assault weapons without a special license to own or carry one.
- I am for the separation of church and state. My 8th great grandfather, William Thorne was one of the signers of the Flushing Remonstrance, a document that was the precursor to the part of the Constitution stating the reasons behind the need for separation of Church and State. Religious beliefs are powerful, and for that reason we must not ever let one religion be forced on others. It is one of the greatest of our freedoms and we should never take it lightly.
- I believe in science, and I believe in education. Only the educated can understand the workings of the world and their leaders. The more you know, the better off the world and all its beings will be. The more you know the less likely it is you be so gullible as to be taken in by a creature like Trump. Our nation is seriously short on good education and common sense, let’s fix that.
- I believe that a nation like ours can afford health care for all its citizens. I believe that one of the main reasons we still don’t have it lies with the rich and powerful insurance companies who have “bought out” our current GOP in Congress so they can continue to rip off Americans with bad, useless insurance policies.
- I believe in equality for all humans, period. I also believe in “live and let live”. I don’t judge masses of people because of their race, religion or lack thereof or sexual orientation or gender. Why? Because I am not a weak follower of hate, I am a strong, fearless human who can think for myself, I am a Democrat.
- I believe in legal immigration. I also believe in DACA for those who can show they have followed the law and who have jobs or have been gainfully employed for most of their years here in this great country. Sending young people back to a country they have never been to is cruel and unnecessary and does not represent our values as a country.
- I am not a fascist, or a socialist. I am not alt-left. Most Democrats are moderate and open-minded. Many of us are Christian, Jews, Muslims Buddhists or a myriad of other beliefs or no organized religion at all. We are appalled that we have a so-called leader who cares nothing for any of these things and is, in fact, intentionally destroying these things with every day that passes. Our environment, endangered species, babies in detention camps dying and/or being taken from their parents thanks to a “leader” who can’t lead, only hate on half the nation. Attacks on women’s rights, the poor, the homeless, other nations and their leaders, and his love affair with horrendous dictators should send a message to all Americans that we, as a nation, are in great danger. Democrats know this. No, we don’t deserve to be hated, we are trying to save your sorry lives and this beautiful country.